By Rebecca Baggett
JVA Training Manager
Providing professional development for your staff helps your organization remain competitive and sustainable by attracting and retaining the brightest employees.
However, finding time for professional development can be tough, and securing resources can sometimes seem impossible.
Here are some ways to help make professional development affordable for your organization:
• Ask board members to make a contribution to further staff development
• Split the cost with the organization
• Target individual donors to support staff development
• Look for a work trade program
• Apply for capacity building grants
• Create a professional development line item on the budget as a reminder
• Target local businesses to sponsor your organization’s professional development
• Host an event with a continuing education theme
• Ask for a payment plan when registering
• Incorporate professional development opportunities in current projects at your organization
• Set up a mentoring program among staff
• Job swap with other organizations
• Identify affordable and/or free Webinars
• List staff development as an item for people to purchase at auctions to support the organization
What are some ways you are providing professional development to your staff?
For information on JVA’s trainings, click here.