A December 11 article in Philanthropy Journal discussed how Grantmakers for Effective Organizations asked 1,700 individual members representing 350 funders to do five things during this time of economic stress:
• Hold 2009 grant budgets steady at 2008 levels, a move that could mean paying out more than 5 percent of assets.
• Look for “no-cost” ways to boost nonprofits, including releasing restrictions on current grants, and thus allowing nonprofits to react to the changing environment.
• Give grantees more flexibility to update, alter or replace programs by providing operating grants; consider providing cash-flow loans or access to credit.
• Continue making high-dollar, multiyear grants, investing in leadership support, and funding efforts to learn and evaluate.
• Engage with key stakeholders to better understand the challenges they face and how funders can help.